As the only ALL LOCAL news source in the region, we live and breathe our company slogan of Connected to Your Community through volunteerism, sponsorships and supporting the people and organizations to get their message out. We know what matters to you and how to get your message to resonate because we live here too.
Media sponsor page for:
• Burk’s Falls Winterfest.
• Kearney Dog Sled races.
• Sprucedale Winter Carnival
• Trout Creek Winter Carnival
• South River Winterfest
• South River/Machar Agricultural Society Taffy Pull
• Katrine Winter Karnival
• Almaguin Maple Tapping celebration
• Strong Agricultural Society Easter Pancake Breakfast
• Powassan Maple Syrup Festival
• Cancer Society and Trout Creek Relay for Life
• Canada Day celebrations in 8 local villages
• upcoming RCMP Musical Ride tour
• Burk’s Falls Canada Day Rodeo
• Kearney Regatta
• Cecebe Regatta
• Dunchurch Fall Fair
• Trout Creek Fall Fair
• Emsdale Fall Fair
• Magnetawan Fall Fair
• Burk’s Falls Fall Fair
• Powassan Fall Fair
• South River Fall Fair
• Sundridge Fall Fair
• Royal Canadian Legion week supporting 12 local branchs
• Poppy Campaign at 12 local Royal Canadian Legion Branches
• Remembrance Day ceremonies
• Burk’s Falls Santa Claus Parade
• MCTV Lions Christmas Telethon bringing gifts and Christmas dinner to about 400 area families and individuals
• Bears that Care campaign supporting four local food banks
• Highland Rovers
• Strong Masonic Lodge
• South River/Machar Agricultural Society
• Strong Agricultural Society
• Cancer Society
• Park to Park Trail Association
Involvement by Managers & Employees
• The Almaguin News is a small but dedicated team of four. They include members who volunteer during community events like the Kearney Dogsled Races, emcee agricultural society events, canvas with the local Cancer Society campaigns and help organize fundraising events like the South River/Machar Agricultural Society Taffy Pull, Restoule Lions Glenn Smith Memorial Cow Pasture Golf Tournament and Strong Lodge Masonic Fish Fry.
• Along with their news duties the Almaguin News editorial team takes great pride in providing support to local fundraisers and area community groups.
• During the construction of the new Almaguin Highlands Secondary School the paper ran stories at least once a month on the various community projects that were ongoing to enhance the school culminating in the school reunion that was held just before the closure of the old high school that was being replaced. More than 2,000 people attended the event.
• Already this year the editorial team has promoted a number of community events including multiple stories on the Kearney Dog Sled Races in February that are easily the biggest draw to the Almaguin region in the winter season with a story each of the three weeks leading up to the event, not to mention the coverage of the races themselves.
• The Burk’s Falls and District Food Bank is the area’s largest such centre and the Almaguin News team keeps in regular contact with the organization doing stories when usage there spikes and they need help filling their shelves.
• The Almaguin News makes room every week for six community columns that carry submissions from grassroots organizations like church auxiliaries, firefighters associations, legions, seniors’ groups, historical and genealogical societies and more.
• The Almaguin News provides during the school year space to Almaguin Highlands Secondary School students to tell their stories directly about drama, sports and fundraising activities at the school.
• Staff work many weekends and evenings making sure their community is reflected in the pages of their paper.
Return to Cottage Country Now - Connected to Your Community