Police have laid two impaired driving charges in Bracebridge as part of the OPP’s provincewide festive RIDE campaign over the holidays.
Though OPP Const. Derek Wickett said local numbers for the driving suspensions laid have yet to come in, the OPP has said it is disappointed with the 693 people charged with impaired driving over the course of the campaign across the province. The campaign, which began on Nov. 24 and wrapped up on Jan. 2, also saw 625 warn range suspensions handed out to people driving with a blood alcohol content of 50 to 80 mg.
“We had hoped to see these numbers decrease significantly during this year’s campaign, in light of how much harder we have worked to educate the public about the dangers of drinking and driving,” said OPP Commissioner Chris Lewis. “Impaired driving continues to be the leading cause of criminal death in Canada and it is disappointing that we still have Ontario drivers who feel entitled to place other road users at risk of losing their lives to an impaired driver.”
Police say the number of people charged is up slightly from last year, when 682 drivers were charged with impaired driving and 583 warn range suspensions were handed out. The number of impaired driving charges laid over the holiday season, police said, is the highest number recorded across the province since 2005.
“In light of these Festive RIDE statistics, we will be as committed as ever in 2013 to incorporating the high visibility, professional traffic stops, public education and measurable outcomes supported by our provincial traffic safety program, in our ongoing effort to reduce impaired driving on Ontario roads,” said Chief Supt. Don Bell, who heads the OPP’s Highway Safety Division.